Saturday, April 21, 2012

Thoughts about the RMAH and Gold Farmers

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about business or economics, I'm just thinking here. In other words, I'm ready to be way wrong. Haha.

My theory is that the RMAH won't be as good for gold farmers or any previous variation of item seller as people think.

Since we are all technically gold farmers in Diablo III (or loot, gear, whatever), wouldn't it make sense that the traditional gold farmer would suffer? I mean, sure they have a much larger customer base now to sell their loot to, but at the same time there is quite a bit more competition when just about anyone with a desire to make cash can throw a Windforce onto the market.

How would you run a gold farm when you're not even certain how much you'll make on a day to day basis from item sales? Especially with other players always driving down the price of items. In Diablo II these companies existed in what were more or less a vacuum where they could set their item prices to something that was profitable for them. Heck, just the fact that they would be farming items and filling the AH with them could kill their profits.|||That'll depend on the new supply and demand. We have no idea how rare top items are, we have no idea how many people will be buying/selling on AH, so we can't really predict if the supply side will suffer.

The big reason D2 item shops flourished was botting and duping, though. In D3 there will likely be no duping, and hopefully botting is constrained, so it is also likely that we will not see as many "crazy" item sellers. After all, there is only so much you can farm by hand.

I suspect, on average, "farming" will not be worth much.

If you put a thousand farmer slaves to run Inferno for 30 days, they might farm up only a single very rare item, worth, say, $1000, and maybe 100 items worth $1-2 each. But that's just my feeling. Alot of common items not worth much and then your extreme once-in-a-lifetime type items, which will not make sense in a farmer environment.|||I'm not sure, to be honest I have a feeling RMAH might be very popular, see my explication below :

I know if the dupes and bots are in Diablo 3, I won't waste my time of doing magic find runs because tons of items, their value will be pretty low. Therefore, people considered as ''casual'' might bought their items on ''RMAH'' and I do understand their reason of doing it. Why? What is the point of wasting 1 week of doing ''magic find runs'' if those items that you have obtained doesn't worth much?



I'm not saying that I'll bought my items, but I have a feeling ''RMAH'' will be popular for casual player at the beginning and if the dupes/bots are out of control, many players might considered to used the auction house if the majority of the items, their value are low. (I'm thinking about Diablo 2 in that kind of situation)



It's a feeling that I have and I hope i'll be wrong when game will be released ... .|||P: there are gold farmers

q: they will be lucrative



so is it

p^q

~p^q

p^~q

~p^~q

~(p^q)|||What do you think about my explication Muggs?|||Quote:








What do you think about my explication Muggs?




I would have to add r

r: Prices will be lower

(p^q)→r|||what does it mean p and q ... ah nevermind, I saw your explication|||Quote:








what does it mean p and q ... ah nevermind, I saw your explication






Short posts from posting on a phone.|||Gold farmers will certainly be present in D3, and likely in very large numbers.

If WoW is any indication, they will farm the game even if it yields less than $1-2 an hour. (Gold in WoW is very cheap now, and the industry is still huge).

It will certainly cheapen the price of gold, scraps an lower-end items. It probably won't have a huge impact on the high-end though, as the high-end requires more time and skill to bring monsters down, and of course bots won't be workable in Inferno.|||There is an article related to fees and goldfarmers here. Also another one is coming soon called "Anatomy of a Chinese Gold Farm".

Basically what they say is that farmers will exists and they will hold an unquestioned comparative advantage in farming. So while you are correct OP in the fact that everyone in the game farming will hurt them, since they hold this advantage it won't be as much as you expect. These farmers work 12 hour shifts each for the equivalent of 77-124 USD per month. The only thing that will hurt them is the 3rd party fee for when they try to cash out, as said in that article.

As far as botting and duping, Diablo 3 will address those in three major ways.

1. Always online. Having most things done server-side makes botting and duping much more difficult, though not impossible.

2. Randomized zones. Blizz has stated that zones will be randomized, which will hurt botting significantly.

3. The RMAH and economic stats. Blizz will be able to use the massive amount of economic stats they get to identify outliers in the market and then isolate those outliers to their source (bots or dupes) and eliminate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment