Thursday, April 19, 2012

Diablo series dead after a few x-packs - Page 4

Quote:








Who said anything about grandeur?

I'm not expecting much more than a free pizza and a few sodas out of it.

Love the RMAH butthurts though.




Oh, aye I've got a sore arse.

Think it was the curry I had last night though.|||Guys, you dont get how it works.

D3 is not making less money than WoW, well it does but its irelevant.

Its making OTHER money.

WoW satisfies one kind of gamers, sc2 others and d3 is supposed to charge yet another kind of customers.

This is why d3 will stay free. Its true that they make less money than on WoW but its nevertheless MONEY in a market which is not yet saturated. So dont worry as long as there are monthly fee opponents there will be games for them.|||Quote:








You feel sorry for me because I'll be getting free cash out of this game, or you feel sorry for me because I'll be enjoying something that you're still throwing a tantrum over?

Don't worry. I don't feel sorry for me. You shouldn't either.

There there, it's just a temporary tantrum. You'll get over it. Eventually.




Yes that makes total sense. |||While the OP is a bit too doom and gloom and this topic has degenerated into mostly flaming, he does have a point. The RMAH is a big step, not only for Blizzard but for the entire game industry. If it does take off (which I expect it will), we will see other companies follow suit. We are entering a new era of gaming and Blizzard is just at the head of it.|||Quote:








While the OP is a bit too doom and gloom and this topic has degenerated into mostly flaming, he does have a point. The RMAH is a big step, not only for Blizzard but for the entire game industry. If it does take off (which I expect it will), we will see other companies follow suit. We are entering a new era of gaming and Blizzard is just at the head of it.




One that will, in my opinion, destroy the essence of online gaming forever. I guess I'll have to stick to single player games from now on.|||Quote:








One that will, in my opinion, destroy the essence of online gaming forever. I guess I'll have to stick to single player games from now on.




What is the essence of online gaming to you? Not flaming just curious about your definition of it.

I see single player games making this shift as well, and even a movement away from single player games entirely. I'm not saying it's a good thing, it just appears to be the way the industry is headed.|||I admit that my post was over the top and unrealistic. I know that Blizz would not prefer to abandon 2 very valuable IPs. I guess the essence of my post is that the days of simple game releases are gone. If we consider the original starcraft and its development cost, im sure it was significantly lower than the development of sc2, probably by half. I am sure that they had to make massive investments in new hardware for the ability to develop in 3d. the dev team surely got much larger. wages for the average game dev probably went up a lot. and the average wage at blizz is probably higher than the industry standard because of the level of talent that they command. but the sell price of the game only increased about 17%; from $49 to $59. that makes for a lopsided comparison to games of yesterday. the way that games used to be developed, sold, and played is gone.|||Quote:








I don't know why you people who clearly don't know what you're talking about keep spouting this nonsense.

Activision does not own Blizzard. Bobby Kotick and Activision have no influence over Blizzard's design process.

Repeat this with me now.

Vivendi owns Blizzard.

Vivendi bought Activision.

Activision does not own Blizzard.

The two are completely separate and one does not influence the other.

Please stop spouting this nonsense.




Not exactly. Vivendi spun its 100% subsidiary games unit (which included Blizzard) off in a merger with Activision, which is a Delaware corporation. As part of the deal Vivendi acquired a 52% stake in the new "Activision Blizzard."

So while Vivendi is the majority owner of Activision and Blizzard it is not quite right to say that Vivendi "bought" Activision and it is wrong to say that "the two are completely separate and one does not influence the other." Activision and Blizzard are a single corporate entity and have a legal obligation to maximize their shareholders' profits - all of their shareholders, not just Vivendi.

I think that one reason people think Activision "owns" Blizzard is confusion arising from the fact that as a matter of convenience Blizzard was folded into Activision's existing structure. So if you look at the corporation's SEC filings (http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-ed...clude&count=40) you'll see "formerly: ACTIVISION INC" and filings going back to 1995.




Quote:








Riddle me this - how many seats on the board does Blizzard have? Why is that?




Seriously? Corporate officers are elected by shareholders, not employees. Blizzard was 100% owned prior to its merger with the independent Activision. The current shareholders are largely Activision's old shareholders and Vivendi. Hence, it is no surprise that there are a lot of French names on the Board: http://www.activisionblizzard.com/co...Directors.html|||Quote:








What is the essence of online gaming to you? Not flaming just curious about your definition of it.

I see single player games making this shift as well, and even a movement away from single player games entirely. I'm not saying it's a good thing, it just appears to be the way the industry is headed.




To me World of Warcraft (or any other MMO that you enjoy) is the definition of online gaming. Working together with other people to achieve certain goals and being able to relate those achievements to those of others. Goals that are actually achieved through effort and experience and not ones that can be bought. Giving people the ability to buy out their goals completely removes any meaningful achievement in an online context. Which is exactly why I won't be playing D3 for more than just finishing the game and won't be playing with the online community at all.|||Quote:








While the OP is a bit too doom and gloom and this topic has degenerated into mostly flaming, he does have a point. The RMAH is a big step, not only for Blizzard but for the entire game industry. If it does take off (which I expect it will), we will see other companies follow suit. We are entering a new era of gaming and Blizzard is just at the head of it.




What is so new on RMAH concept? Games are involving real money for years already. this RMAH concept is just the most sotisficated...

No comments:

Post a Comment