Thursday, April 19, 2012

Diablo series dead after a few x-packs

A few threads that have caught my attention recently really made me start to think about where this series is going. I believe that after uncovering the earning potential that wow had, blizz is hooked on profit like a 19 year old junkie. If they had it their way, they would shut down starcraft and diablo, and just run mmos. they cant obviously, because mmos take a lot of time to develop, especially if you are blizzard. I think that we will see 2 MAYBE 3 expansions, all in order further fund and alleviate the pain of waiting for titan. you think rmah is bad? you think pay to play is bad? you think miscellaneous micro transactions are bad? wait until titan comes out. I believe that titan will be the most massive, engaging, dynamic, virtual world ever created. I think it will be possible for blizzard to make the game and world so engaging that spending money on anything and everything will be commonplace. Obviously it will be controversial. it will have opposition. but what is economy? It is the manufacture, trade, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. Blizzard provides it customers with a virtual world filled with virtual goods and services that they are free to buy and use as they require for the benefit of their avatar. I am not advocating it. I dont play wow and i likely wont be interested in titan. but millions upon millions will be. all this, i believe, will be the decline of blizzards non mmo IPs. how will they be able to justify (to activision/kotick) the hundred million dollar development cost of a game like d3 when there are games like titan to be made that have near infinite residual income potential?|||Wall of text crits you for over 9million.

Anyway what titan actually remains to be seen but I am not sure there will ever be an MMO as successful as WOW. I think it hit at the right time with the right combinations to appeal to the masses. It was basically a perfect storm of gaming and is currently bleeding off players at a serious rate.|||Quote:








If they had it their way, they would shut down starcraft and diablo...




|||I see D3 going one of two directions:

-A lasting title, like TF2, that will constantly evolve and eventually expand on areas that players want, such as higher player counts and bigger/new dungeons, all while raking in TONS of cash by means of microtransactions.

-A cash grab that will peak and then crash, due to lack of updates, around the 2yr mark.|||So is this post really about Diablo or just another 'wah, Blizz only cares about moar monies!!' post? I don't quite get what motivated you to even post this lol.|||Im not whining about blizz making more money, I beleive most of their recent changes have been positive and justified. Maybe this post doesnt belong here, but I have been thinking a lot about titan and "social gaming" lately. some recent posts about how blizzard plans to fund the future of d3 made me wonder if they even intend to support d3 and diablo series in general once we are within the acceptable waiting period for titan once it is officially announced.|||I agree with you, snifsnif.

But I don't think blizzard would make a smart decision by developing several MMOS, they'd be basically splitting their same subscribers onto separate games.

I dunno, maybe its idiotic, but its my hunch. I think if blizzard released another MMO, there would be two major community of players: ex-WoW players and another group of blizz-fan players.

Don't accuse me of pulling this out of my a**, cause I totally did. |||Quote:








Im not whining about blizz making more money, I beleive most of their recent changes have been positive and justified. Maybe this post doesnt belong here, but I have been thinking a lot about titan and "social gaming" lately. some recent posts about how blizzard plans to fund the future of d3 made me wonder if they even intend to support d3 and diablo series in general once we are within the acceptable waiting period for titan once it is officially announced.






Well if Diablo2 and Original Starcraft are any barometers I believe they will continue to support the games but at a severely decreased level.|||Quote:








Well if Diablo2 and Original Starcraft are any barometers I believe they will continue to support the games but at a severely decreased level.




Blizzard had no way of making continuous revenue from Diablo 2 and Starcraft 1.

Starcraft 2 will have the DLC store and Diablo 3 will have the RMAH transaction fees.|||Agree with Mucky, except I would have quoted the entire post.

No comments:

Post a Comment