Saturday, April 21, 2012

The inevitable "Rollback"

Time and time again, online RPG's have suffered one small annoyance, which while rare, happens.

A server Rollback. Server crashes, data is lost, the most recent backup puts the entire game back 12hr, 24hr, who knows.

-How will you react?

-How will Blizz react?

-How will Blizz refund lost time/money?

-Will Blizz's backups be within minutes of a server/data failure? Or perhaps redundant such that a full data loss + server rollback will "never" happen?



Thoughts?|||I suppose I'll feel a little annoyed and then quickly get over it.

Unless it happened right after my favorite hardcore character died, then I'll feel happy and a little guilty.|||I've never seen D2 rollback more than five minutes.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think its an issue.|||This is a great question. I don't remember many rollbacks in vanilla wow so I am not sure if it is still an issue but I would imagine the server that maintains the RMAH will be separate from the players servers and have a mirror that is updated instantly.|||I've experienced rollbacks, but almost all were not blizzard games. I would imagine, with all the tall orders they are promising (server side game, RMAH) that if anything goes down, it will immediately be back up.

This probably helps explain why things are taking forever, they have to make this thing (relatively) fail proof.|||I remember a major rollback around 2002 for diablo 2|||IIRC I experienced a few rollbacks with D2 and WoW, nothing more than a few minutes nor really memorable.|||I'll probably go play offline oh wait.....|||Quote:








I'll probably go play offline oh wait.....




|||If they're going to be using the same kinda of database processing that the WoW servers use, roll backs (if any, haven't seen one in years) will have minimal effect. You'll keep everything you had the minute the servers go down for the rollback.

No comments:

Post a Comment