Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spirals of Addiction - Page 2

The focus of D3 is basically "collect shiny", it's shooting for the addictive giant slot machine angle, most of the peripheral system and mechanics is built around it if you think about it. Not to say it can't stand on its own aside from the trade and lootz aspect of it for those who plays that way.

It's a proven formula, and I like it.|||Quote:








Yeah, that StarMage is such a jerkface... enjoying the game in a different way than we do! Let's form a posse of those who like to play the "right way", then find a bunch of people who like the different things and beat them up!




Soooo there's no asking questions in this thread? Weird, it wasn't in the rules... anyway nobody ask Raesene a question, it beats him up|||Quote:








One person's 'incentives' are another one's headaches. I never cared for the leveling grind in D2 and I welcomed respecs with open arms. For me the game was all about the items, farming and trading them, apart from the first one or two playthroughs. Because, unlike in leveling, where you knew the results of the grind in advance (I'll be level xy after 1,000,000,000 runs, whoop-de-fudging-doo), with items you never knew what was going to drop next, which is the mental equivalent of crack laced with heroin.

I then traded the items I found (even more addicting than finding them imo) and tried out new builds for fun and profit. D3 will remove all the annoying obstacles like leveling or 're-rolling' for misplaced stats: once you have 10 chars, that will be it, no need for more. You can focus on the builds (which are made by items, as they were in D2), instead of the boring, non-valueadding chores. I might even buy a few chars if I can because I cannot stand the idea of leveling chars when they're available on the AH.

It's a funny word, incentive, btw. Nothing's stopping you from leveling new chars in D3 after you hit 60. If it is so much fun, why must you be forced into doing it? It's win-win the way it is: you can still do it, while those of us who don't like it don't have to. Sure, you can no longer spend 10 more hours to make a char that has 1 point less in str and 1 more in vita, but frankly if you can't find better stuff to do for 10 hours then you've got bigger problems than the nyances of video games. (And yes, I did it several times and I'm one of those peoples with problems; D3 is the medicine if not the cure, so to speak. )




qft 10chars|||Quote:








....what end game? You really felt the game STARTED at 99? It takes so immensely long to get to the level cap, what is there left to do for "end game" at 99? You will have done everything there is to offer in the game... you really hit the cap before playing the game for real?




Mind you this is a LONG TIME after the game was released. Long after I've soaked up the content and enjoyed that new game feel. Long after I've created every experimental and non-FOTM variety build there is

For me the end game was doing Hell MF runs and dueling.|||I've never actually seen another person in my time of d2-online who actually wanted to run acts 2-5, three times over and over for each character. Act1 was fine, in my opinion was blizzard's best act in d2, and I always played through it all when I made new characters. After that? HELL NO, I got a rush.|||I will still roll alts of the same class.|||Gambling and video games go hand in hand. They hit the same pleasure points in your brain, in your routine, and get you to try and do things over and over again. Adding RMAH, and the evolution is complete. I remember as a kid, the first time I ever went to Vegas, we get off at the train station, and before we can make it the few feet to the cab, there's some guy trying to pawn his watch. Be prepared for the inevitable Dr. Phil episode.|||http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQtDT...1DA5C3323EE9BB

Diablo.|||Quote:








Basically every aspect of the game is designed so that in order to reach your goals, you have to play more.




Change "your" to "my" because your being single minded about what people's goals are when playing this game.

If your only goal is character progression then this isn't the right game for you.|||Quote:








Change "your" to "my" because your being single minded about what people's goals are when playing this game.

If your only goal is character progression then this isn't the right game for you.




You made an account just to dig up a 3day old thread. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment