Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Blizzard game development principles

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this as well.

At Blizzard Irvine they have this big *** Orc statue. And on the ground around the statue (if I recall correctly) they engraved their 8 principles into stone.

Somehow i can't seem to find a photo or any information at all for that matter as to what those principles exactly are.

I remember one was "Gameplay first", there's "Embrace your inner geek" and "Every opinion counts". The rest of them escape me.

I think it would be very interesting to know what guidelines - I guess you could call them - they stand by.

So if any of you could provide me with a link, would be much obliged

/e: guess what i found after all http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html|||Meh. Those might have been their ideals in the good old days.

Now its just a money milking fest.|||*gasp* A corporation that wants to make money?! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you - no lesser words will do here! |||I'll pretend I haven't noticed the obvious insults you threw at me.

I could count the times during d3 development (and during other recent blizzard games btw) where gameplay, artistic visual design, ratings, etc. were all traded off for a larger and better paying audience.

You gonna try and tell me that is not so? Go ahead. Just don't shoot garbage flying at me, I don't like it.|||You can tell when a product has hit a new low when it's defenders can't come up with anything else then the argument "there's nothing wrong with a company making money".|||Quote:








I'll pretend I haven't noticed the obvious insults you threw at me.

I could count the times during d3 development (and during other recent blizzard games btw) where gameplay, artistic visual design, ratings, etc. were all traded off for a larger and better paying audience.

You gonna try and tell me that is not so? Go ahead. Just don't shoot garbage flying at me, I don't like it.




if they would want to just make money fast..we would be already playing second expansion of Diablo 4.. That's how I see it.|||Well when the attack is that they want to make money, that seems like an appropriate defense.

What exactly are people complaining about here? Where have gameplay, artistic visual design, ratings (what does that even mean?) been traded off?|||And the question "how" is completely irrelevant?

So you could basically defend a company scamming their customers with the same bs rhetoric.

Here's a better question none of these defenders ever ask themselves, let alone try to answer; how is it right to loose your own identity/soul/principles just to make more money? And we're not talking about a company that can't survive by just creating good quality.

It's pathetic to always hear the same wannabe-shills spout these non-arguments as a defence against discussion, because that's what it is, don't ever let them fool you they actually want to discuss the topic, they don't. The worst of it is that somehow they managed to delude themselves into thinking they're doing their friend, mister big company, an actual service and that someday they'll get repaid for their self-imposed ignorant loyalism. It's hilarious, that's how tragic it is.|||Quote:








You can tell when a product has hit a new low when it's defenders can't come up with anything else then the argument "there's nothing wrong with a company making money".




I didn't say anything about right or wrong. Morals have no place when it comes to the market. What sells, sells, and that's it. The casuals they're luring in with the gameplay/art changes (so-claimed 'wowification'), along with the RMAH will rake in vastly more cash than satisfying their existing 'hardcore' customer base. And despite all the whining, a tiny percentage will *actually* not buy the game due to the changes. They may be able to resist for a few months, but eventually they'll buy it since any other ARPG is only a shadow of Diablo. From a business pov (which is all they should logically care about), imo Blizz made all the right decisions.

It's capitalism in action, pure and simple. If you don't like it, you need to change the game(ie capitalism, not D3 ), not the players.

Fwiw, I don't care for the new armors or lack of pentagrams, but otherwise have no problems with the new art direction. Infi-respecs and no skill points are a godsend, and I look forward to making money on the RMAH (even if only modest amounts). But even if I was against all these things, I'd still not complain because it's pointless in this day and age (ie when games are developed for the mass market; in the past the hc crowd had to be listened to because they were the only group that was playing).|||I think the other issue is how diluted the gaming market has become. It used to be Gamers were a niche group of geeks who enjoyed computers and games. Now it seems like everyone is a gamer and they are trying to appeal to a larger audience. (read LCD) And doing so they realized that the LCD offers nothing so they don't go after their input since you tell the LCD what to do not the other way around.

And for those not in the LCD feeling insulted for being grouped with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment