Monday, April 16, 2012

Confirmed: no LAN play

Translated from Flux's recent news article, Jay Wilson has confirmed at Leipzig that there will be no LAN play:




Blizzard Quote: (Source)






We currently have no intentions to allow LAN games, we are focusing fully on Battle.net, where we not only have the ability to quickly connect with other players, but also to the Blizzard community.









So there's a bit of contention over this issue already, and I can say that my major beef with this is the current expiration of characters on Battle.net. If Battle.net 2.0 fixes this issue, I'd be happy. If not? Well...I'm not sure it would keep me from buying it, but I would be pretty disappointed.|||No LAN -> 99% confirmed p2p. They really sunk it this time.

/t bli

/moon|||It would make sense that by buying the game, you can play Single Player. If you want to enjoy the multiplayer experience, you must pay every month|||Thyiad is gonna be ticked! |||why does this mean its 99% sure that youll have to pay to play? Why cant it just be a feature that isnt used enough anymore and they dont want to take the time to implement the features? (not bashing the LAN users, but that could be a reason why)|||If it's confirmed, then Blizzard has definately turned me off the game completely. They are requiring me to have an internet connection in order to play with my friends. They make the game so that everyone can play on their computers with their "simplified" graphics, and then they make it so that everyone is required to play online if they want multiplayer?

Sorry, I don't buy the Battle.net 2.0 is going to be just like heaven and completely perfect. I don't like to rely on such a thing for playing multiplayer. If the "Blizzard Community" = what already exists on Battle.net and WoW, then I can happily do without. Of course, they aren't giving us that choice and they are forcing us online to a sub-standard system.

And if it's P2P? All of us require an account to play? Garbage. Blizzard isn't making a sequel to Diablo II, they are making a prequel to World of Diablo. There is zero good coming from this announcement.

Thanks Blizzard for completely ruining the D3 multiplayer experience before it even launches. (This is, of course, a rant under the assumption that what is said is ending up in the final launch, of which I have very little doubt).|||Now there's a shame. Big shame.

Titan quest no LAN play = Fail.

HGL no LAN play = Fail.

D3 no LAN play = ?

They are forgetting that there are people in this world who have rotten connections to Battle.net purely due to location. Where I am for example there is a 700-1,100 ms ping to battle.net from the west coast of australia.

Being able to download at over a megabyte per second and several gigs a month means squat when it takes a second to arrive.

Oh well. maybe there will be a decent single player content.|||Quote:




Titan quest no LAN play = Fail.

HGL no LAN play = Fail.

D3 no LAN play = ?




Battlenet 2.0 > all those other online systems and LAN.

You can "LAN" even in battlenet.. make own channel and private games .. tada.|||Talk about a poor choice. This is the first time that I have seen a game company have no regard for what people actually want. LAN and no p2p is what made the diablo series what it is. I don't want a crappy wannabe mmorpg I want a "Diablo" game. One that I can enjoy playing with friends on or off the internet and for free.|||One of the best things a friend and I used to do on RV trips was to setup to laptops in the back, and LAN Diablo during some of the longer stretches of driving. You can't do that with b.net 2.0, so its not always 'better'.

While I dont mind the gaming being heavily linked into in, I wish they would have included lan. Personally it would have been great to use, we do games at college all the time. It was great for when you didn't wanna deal with high pings. I mean honestly, if my fiend and I are sitting across the room from each other, why should we need to connect to some server out somewhere to play?

Look at what happens with WOW. Players can use third party software to fake a lan server. I can only assume that if those servers can be duplicated, b.nets features will see a copy put out at some point. The result? A pirating user can host a server locally, and get the benefits of a lan game, while legitimate users are locked into the online services.

Why is it that it seems that not including this stuff just encourages players to break the TOS to get it?

I would certainly never want them to take away time from what they are doing to including a feature that in all honestly, isn't going to be used a lot. Sure, some players might live off LANs, but it seems like the silent majority will be more then happy with a b.net heavy release. Maybe they will include it in a later patch?

No comments:

Post a Comment