Monday, April 16, 2012

Builds I can�t wait to try - Page 2

Quote:








It is extremely unlikely that this will be true.




Not that I don't believe you..buy may I give you a challenge? Can you make a build which would be hypothetically not feasible/usable at hell/inferno?|||6 non-CC attack skills with no CC runes attached. Sounds like a recipe for failure.

So... Let's try Magic Missile, Spectral Blade, Magic Weapon, Disintegrate, Explode, Arcane Torrent. Unless you are literally geared to the point of one shotting enemies.... and even then, I think it's fair to expect you to die non-stop.|||hehe challenge accepted |||Quote:








Not that I don't believe you..buy may I give you a challenge? Can you make a build which would be hypothetically not feasible/usable at hell/inferno?




Hypothetically, of course. I'm just saying it's extremely unlikely the game will be balanced enough that all the skills will really be good and viable through the whole game. Hope for "most", but don't hold your breath for "all".|||Every single skill? I actually expect them all to genuinely be viable, at least from what I've seen on Barbarian/Witch Doctor/Wizard. There are seems to be minimal redundancy even among attack skill designs.

The real trick will be balancing skill rune variations ala Ray of Frost - it has a rune for damage, slow, and resource efficiency. That is the sort of thing that is tricky to balance. But stuff like Disintegrate vs. Twister vs. Arcane Torrent vs. Arcane Orb? They are all basic AoE killing abilities, but they seem to have very different applications based on mechanism of delivery alone.|||Quote:








Every single skill? I actually expect them all to genuinely be viable, at least from what I've seen on Barbarian/Witch Doctor/Wizard. There are seems to be minimal redundancy even among attack skill designs.




That strikes me as an odd thing say. Whether they are viable or not doesn't depend on what they do but on what their numbers are. See, for example, the lvl 18 Blessed Hammer vs the lvl 30 Fist of the Heavens.|||The nice thing about Blizzard obliterating skill points is that the numbers will be extremely easy to adjust. Given that the modern Blizzard is all too happy to actually balance things and that their target values are "viable but not overpowered" instead of "perfectly balanced," I am no longer particularly worried about basic skill balance.

Skills that are broken I expect be broken because they are conceptually broken gimmicks. For example, Wave of Force as is - knock back and projectile reflection, I expect to be mostly pointless. Though, if it's not on cooldown and has a reasonably low AP cost, I could actually see it work in a Twister/Hydra build...

But, yeah, given that you can no longer supercharge a single offensive skill at expense of others, balance should be infinitely easier. If an offensive skill is underperforming compared to other skills, you adjust its base damage or (if Blizzard uses that math) its ratio multiplier for Attack or SpellDamage/Weapon value.|||I agree, balance will be much easier. But I still say expecting all of them to be good is a bit much to ask. |||I don't look forward to any specific build, but I look forward to making my build organically as I level up. I imagine that every time I get a new skill I will swap it in, try it out for a bit, and then decide if it fits my preferred play-style better or worse than my previous skills. As I get runes, there will be even more opportunity for experimentation. This is what I really look forward to, and I'm glad I'm not going to be punished for playing that way, like I was in D2.

EDIT: In regards to the discussion on skill balance, I can imagine every skill being viable for the particular role it is meant to fill. I don't think every skill necessarily will go together well with every one one. If two skills fill very similar roles, you'll create redundancy in your build. I believe skills that are truly broken will also have the opportunity to be balanced. I imagine that Blizzard will be doing a lot more tweaking with the skills than they did in D2.|||Quote:




I agree, balance will be much easier. But I still say expecting all of them to be good is a bit much to ask.




Why? As long as you balance within the skill group role and have a minimal performance standard, it's a very simple matter to make every skill viable.

Cattle.net community's bull**** definition of viable = best not withstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment