Monday, April 16, 2012

Latest "online only" excuse, from Frank Pearce - Page 10

I agree with Drachasor. Selling DLC that was already developed happens a lot. I'd even be ok with it if they just owned up to it, but a lot of times they're trying to mislead and lie to people. It shows an utter lack of respect and it's inexcusable. I also believe even from a business perspective it could hurt them in the longrun.|||Quote:








There is quite a lot of DLC that was essentially taken from the game and made into DLC. Most things that are there Day 1 are like this, because they were developed during the normal development cycle. EVERYTHING that you get free with a box purchase IS this, however, as a way to attack used game sales.

I don't have a particular problem with this, as long as the content is reasonably priced. Too often it is really overpriced and you get very little content compared to an expansion or new game. That's lame.




I have a revolutionary idea to counters things you consider overpriced, unfair and "lame":

Don't buy them.|||Quote:








I have a revolutionary idea to counters things you consider overpriced, unfair and "lame":

Don't buy them.




I don't, for the reasons given. Does that somehow mean I can't complain about their pricing scheme? I think not.|||I have no problems with most pricing. The DLC I've purchased has been mostly between the 10 and 20 dollar range and unless it's stupid hat or something, keeps me entertained for a couple of hours. I just don't buy into the stupid hat thing, or vanity pets and special mounts.|||Quote:








I have no problems with most pricing. The DLC I've purchased has been mostly between the 10 and 20 dollar range and unless it's stupid hat or something, keeps me entertained for a couple of hours. I just don't buy into the stupid hat thing, or vanity pets and special mounts.




A game without much content costs 60 bucks and lasts 10 hours. That's a fairly content poor game, and gives you an hour of content for every 6 bucks. So 20 bucks IS a ripoff for an hour or two of gaming entertainment. This is to say nothing of how the quality is a lot less than standard game quality for that game in the vast majority of cases.

Of course, most games have at least 20 hours of gaming, and some have 50+ hours. This makes paying 10 bucks for an hour of content pretty ridiculous. I really hope no one makes a movie comparison here, because that's what I see most often. Games and movies are completely different beasts, and you shouldn't compare the pricing of the two. It doesn't make anymore sense than comparing the price of food and games or football tickets and games, etc, etc.

The weird thing? I don't see companies experimenting much with MT prices. They could quite probably make more money selling their MT at a far more reasonable rate since more people would buy it. Seems odd that they don't seem to be trying to figure out what the demand curve is.

And I 100% agree that the item DLC is even more ridiculous than anything else might be.|||Torchlight 2 looks to break the mold by selling at a much lower price. I forsee a ton of DLC for it though in counterbalance.|||while this can be true, but in d3 case I highly doubt it.|||Quote:




I really hope no one makes a movie comparison here, because that's what I see most often. Games and movies are completely different beasts, and you shouldn't compare the pricing of the two. It doesn't make anymore sense than comparing the price of food and games or football tickets and games, etc, etc.




But "2 hours of gameplay" is a better value, adding in replay value vs rewatchability (in most cases, not always true for real classics on the movie side, or crap games). Add in the fact that you don't have the gameplay expanded by failures, and off the beaten path exploration, the latter especially if you're talking about something like Diablo or Borderlands or WoW. Borderlands is actually one of my favorite examples of this. 2 hours if I rush through the main quests on the DLC, but they actually have way more content, if you figure in side quests and alts.|||Quote:








But "2 hours of gameplay" is a better value, adding in replay value vs rewatchability (in most cases, not always true for real classics on the movie side, or crap games). Add in the fact that you don't have the gameplay expanded by failures, and off the beaten path exploration, the latter especially if you're talking about something like Diablo or Borderlands or WoW. Borderlands is actually one of my favorite examples of this. 2 hours if I rush through the main quests on the DLC, but they actually have way more content, if you figure in side quests and alts.




If you figure in alts? Then the main content multiplies too, so that all washes out. The reason why the movie comparison is moronic is because the creation is totally different, the delivery is totally different, and in general the market is totally different. It just doesn't work remotely the same.

Compare GAME content to GAME content. A ton of DLC is way overpriced when you do that. You pay more for something you play less and is made to a lower quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment