Wednesday, April 18, 2012

D2 beta reports - Page 2

Quote:








This one really blew me away. Cartoonist graphics and online play replacing the single player game? This could be a D3 forum post from 2 days ago. It really put some of the posts worrying about D3 into perspective for me.




But it was true in D1 to D2. It was a jarring transition if you spent a lot of time playing D1.|||Quote:




For the most part, the game ran well on my Pentium II 300 Mhz, 48 MB RAM, ATI Rage Pro machine.





Quote:








Hah, my have things changed ... and software become so incredibly inefficient clock for clock that you wonder how programmers get away with it..




I was just about to quote this. 48 MB ram wow Another:


Quote:




I've had an account from a fellow STer from school who said that it was incredibly smooth on his 56k modem.




The days of dial up internet!

I like how there are no comparisons to WoW, hahaha.|||Quote:








But it was true in D1 to D2. It was a jarring transition if you spent a lot of time playing D1.




Oh I'm not arguing the point... D1 was definitely a darker, more gothic game compared to D2. I played alot of D1, and I remember feeling some of the parts were downright scary... not so much in D2. But hearing the same complaints today and 10+ years ago gives me some perspective. It was different, but ultimately the complaints seem less important in retrospect. Makes me think that a few years down the road, our worries of today wont seem like much.|||Quote:








Oh I'm not arguing the point... D1 was definitely a darker, more gothic game compared to D2. I played alot of D1, and I remember feeling some of the parts were downright scary... not so much in D2. But hearing the same complaints today and 10+ years ago gives me some perspective. It was different, but ultimately the complaints seem less important in retrospect. Makes me think that a few years down the road, our worries of today wont seem like much.




I think that wholly depends on what you want, and what your "worries" are.

The thing that got me most stoked about D3 during the initial presentation of the game were all the comments on how they wanted to bring the series back to its roots. There has only ever been one true Diablo game, imo. I highly doubt I'll see another one.

Not that D3 doesn't look like a good game. I wouldn't be here otherwise. There's just no replacing or replicating D1, I guess.|||Quote:










Not that D3 doesn't look like a good game. I wouldn't be here otherwise. There's just no replacing or replicating D1, I guess.




And don't forget when diablo1 came out we were all wide eyed and naive to gaming or at least some of us. And playing an ARPG after playing things like Bards tale or D&D Eye of the beholder seemed like a huge leap in terms of gameplay and excitement. I don't think D1 can ever be replicated because of the time we were playing and not so much of the game design or feeling.

I definitely didn't think d2 was as creepy as d1 but I enjoyed D2 so much more.|||I get that, and I suppose if I went in to D3 hoping for a return to it's D1 roots I would be disappointed. I guess for me, in this age of political correctness where Blizzard can't use christian symbology lest we either offend or exclude certain segments of the customer base... I guess I never expected to see a game like D1 again. D2 could never be D1, and D3 will never be either. It would be nice if they could bring back some of the horror but I guess I've gotten to the point where I'll just focus on the gameplay and the min/max number crunching and be happy with what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment